8.12.2010

My Caramelized Onion Hummus





I tried this hummus at Whole Foods, and was floored. It was soooo good. Like, unexpectedly good. While I love hummus, this was almost a different concept. It was lighter than a normal hummus and more flavorful. It was in their pre-made food section. The name: Caramelized Onion Hummus. I could live in Whole Foods forever. Till I died. Just put a bed and a TV and maybe a tiny Kitchen...and done, I'm all set.

That would probably be a bit outrageous though, and well, expensive. One day, Whole Foods might own me the way I spend money there.

Anyway, I think the flavor in the hummus came from the fact that there was more onion than chickpea. So, of course, I tried to make my own. While not quite like Whole Foods', it was still really good and worth a try. The next time I make it, I will definitely add more onion. I think that in this recipe, there is no limit on the amount of onion you use. The more, the better. Especially if you're an onion lover like myself.

Kathleen's Caramelized Onion Hummus


2 whole yellow onions, chopped
olive oil for caramelizing
1 tablespoon butter for caramelizing also
1 can chickpeas
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tablespoons tahini
2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste




1. Combine butter and olive oil in pan and cook onions. Add salt as desired. Cook until they are a caramel color.

2. Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add oil, lemon juice, tahini, salt and pepper as desired.


So the next time you need a crowd pleasing appetizer, just stop by here, and you're all set!

Happy Almost Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment