6.08.2010

Turkey Salad



Miss me??

Summer is in full effect and if there is one thing I hate about DC, it's the summers. I know...I know, I'm such a debbie downer. Everyone should love summer and the sun and the long days and eating outside and picnics. Well, I do love all of that, but in DC that all comes packaged with lots and lots of humidity. And lets just say humidity and I just do not get along. The idea of sweating profusely while casually taking a stroll outside is not very appealing to me. Unless, mind you, this is all taking place at the beach...then I'm happy as a clam. However, DC is not on the beach and of course, like the extreme winter we had, it appears we may have an extreme summer (the temperatures are already 15 degrees higher than they were this time last year!). My point: I in no way want to turn on my oven in my non-air-conditioned kitchen. It's already like a sauna as it is. Not to say I won't eventually turn it on, but I'd much rather make non-oven related meals.

Here's a classic favorite...my way! Remove most of the mayo and add Greek Yogurt. Delicious...and refreshing for those really hot summer days.


Turkey Salad


1/2 lb. ground turkey
1/4 cup white onion, diced
1/4 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup apple, diced
1/4 cup red grapes, sliced in half
2 tablespoons craisins
handful chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon mayo
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
salt and pepper
lettuces leaves (Bibb lettuce works best even though they are not used in the picture)


1. Brown the turkey and let cool in the fridge. Feel free to season it as you wish. Possibly some garlic, salt and pepper.

2. Combine all ingredients. If you want, put it all in a bowl and shake... for as long as you want.

3. Refrigerate. Or don't.

4. Eat.

Relax. That meal was no sweat.

No comments:

Post a Comment