11.23.2009

Greek Yogurt, Sour Cream and Mayo

I know...its been a while. Turns out, making your blog look cool is tough. I am not computer savvy, so when directions start talking about "configuring the coding" I panic a little. And then, I mess things up. Which is what I have been doing for the last week...messing it all up. Hence my new design...random colors...simplicity. Please note, my colors may change often as I may be the worst person ever at making decisions. One day, hopefully, I will be able to figure out how to have a pretty template. Or maybe someone will do it for me. Until then...bare with me.

Moving on....

I love Greek Yogurt.

Today for lunch I had carrots with ranch dressing. I love ranch....good ranch. And I am picky about it. I do not like Kraft or Wishbone; they have a strange tang to them. Personally, I think they are gross. I think you get the idea. Anyway, my favorite kinds are always homemade and mayonnaise based...go figure. I worked at a Michigan Koney Island for few years in high school, and they have the best ranch EVER. But I will tell you, I've had to make it and when you have to lug out a 3 or 4 gallon tub of mayo, it will make you cringe.

So I try to avoid mayo when cooking, unless its essential (or I just really want it, because lets be serious, its good). Solution: Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt.
The ranch I made for lunch was made with 0% Fage Greek Yogurt (which I love, but will admit that the 2% is better but the difference is small) and part of a Hidden Valley Ranch Packet (Dips, not dressing). You can also use Sour Cream, which is what the directions suggest, but Yogurt is ultimately the healthier choice. More times than not, Greek yogurt can be used in place of sour cream or mayo. There are times I would avoid it, though. For example, mixing canned tuna with Greek Yogurt is not really my cup of tea. The health benefits will not outweigh the taste. It's really not even a pleasant thought.

I would say that 9 times out of 10, Greek yogurt will work.

Try these options:

* Replace the sour cream on your tacos for a dollop of Greek Yogurt. You won't even notice the difference.

* Use a generous amount as a spread in a wrap and don't feel guilty.

* Add it to your soups to make them creamy.

* Use it in all sorts of dips such as Spinach and Artichoke dips.

* Instead of a heavy cream Alfredo sauce on your pasta, try replacing the cream with Greek yogurt.

* Make healthy, protein rich smoothies with Greek Yogurt, Tofu, ice and your choice of fruit.

* Replace your cottage cheese chip dip ;) with a spiced-up Greek Yogurt.

* Use it in place of oils when backing banana bread or brownies.

* Add granola, cranberries and almonds or honey and walnuts to enjoy a great mid-morning snack.

* Make Tzatziki sauce by adding cucumbers, lemon juice, dill, garlic and salt and pepper. One of my personal favorites.

* Add a spoonful to your favorite chili.

* Mix it with applesauce.

Or...just enjoy it all on its own!

No comments:

Post a Comment