11.16.2010

Simple Cilantro Dressing

I've been busy lately. I'll tell you why later, but for now, I'll just share a simple salad dressing. Because sometimes you just want a salad - a simple, easy-to-throw-together salad when you don't have time to cook. And the most important part of salad - the dressing. So wouldn't it be great to have a dressing that you love just sitting around so you could just grab it, throw it on, and go. I just made dressing sound like a jacket. But, seriously, if you don't have good dressing, then your salad probably just sucks. Pardon my French.

This dressing requires that you love cilantro, like myself. I would put it on just about everything if I could, right there next to my hot sauce and ranch dressing. But, Cilantro is quite possibly the strangest herb ever (and the most popular around the globe). You're probably wondering why. Well, apparently there are like communities of people that call themselves "cilantro haters," like so. Even some scientists believe that there is some gene that causes people to describe the aroma of cilantro as "soapy." Read this. I can't think of another food that people have actually joined together to hate (because of it's taste). And to think about how much I love it, I can't imagine how someone could hate it so much. But then again, I love brussels sprouts too, but that's besides the point. There are actually websites strictly devoted to hating Cilantro. And, there are websites devoted to loving it, like this gem.


Well, too bad for the haters. Cilantro, of course considering it's green-ness, is really good for you. Full of antioxidants, obviously. But if eating Cilantro is like eating soap to you, I advise you just skip this post.

Sometimes I just combine Cilantro leaves with lettuce, but then you don't get that Cilantro taste in every bite. So, if you turn it into liquid form, you can rest assured you'll have a very Cilantro-y salad.



Simple Cilantro Dressing

1 bunch Cilantro
Garlic
Lemon Juice
Olive Oil
Red Wine Vinegar
Salt and Pepper
Small amounts of Cold Water for thinning out


(This blender is my best friend. No joke.)

Blend all of those together, adjusting ingredients to your likings and making it as thick or thin as you want (you can add cold water to make it thinner), and you get this...





A bowl of Cilantro goodness. Toss a little on your choice of salad, and love every minute of it. And the glory of it...a little goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment