4.07.2010

Springtime Berry Smoothies



A few things about these Berry Smoothies:

1. I am very excited for berry season. Strawberries are by far my favorite fruit. I do not love strawberry flavored things that much and I really dislike the gooey strawberry stuff you sometimes get with desserts, but there is nothing much better than a fresh, ripe strawberry!

2. I added tofu to this smoothie. You may be thinking "Eww...thats gross!" So it turns out that I have read a lot about adding tofu to smoothies, and you can't even taste the tofu. Like my roommate, Catherine, said, "tofu really just takes on the taste of it's surroundings." So when you add it to berries and yogurt and honey, thats what you will taste. Also, by adding tofu, you're adding a lot of good nutrients like protein, which is a huge bonus.

3. Smoothies can be made in so many different ways, so while I really enjoyed this berry smoothie...feel free to play around. Even go wild and do bananas, chocolate and peanut butter. The choices are pretty endless as I'm fairly certain all fruit tastes good mixed together.

4. If you have frozen berries, those work best. They serve two purposes at once: fruit and ice. This is especially useful when your blender won't blend your ice cubes!!!




Berry Smoothie

1/2 cup frozen berries
1/4 cup Pineapple chunks with Pineapple juice
1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup tofu (extra firm, firm, soft...the choice is yours)
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1. One easy step: blend it all together!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this looks fantastic! Would have never thought to put tofu in a smoothie, but makes sense.

    ReplyDelete