2.04.2010

Hodge Podge Cookies



That's my street yesterday morning. So pretty and quaint in the snow.

DC is cold. And we're on the verge of getting about 2 feet of snow this weekend, again. Unlike many of those in DC, I am ecstatic. I absolutely love winter...the snow, the hot chocolate with tiny fake marshmallows, snow boots, scarves, cozy sweaters, cuddling, sledding, snowmen, snowballs, snow angels...you name it, I love it. Except skiing, only because I tried once and lets just say the easy slope and I had our differences.

There's something about a snow fall in the city though. I'm used to Michigan winters, where a foot of snow doesn't really phase anyone. It's quite comical in DC. Everything shuts down. My roommate just called me from the grocery store and told me that water and bread are sold out. It's as if they are preparing for the apocalypse. All day everyone has been checking the weather religiously and figuring out their daily commutes for the following day. I'm just hoping that we are able to leave work early! It reminds me of the week in high school that we were let out after lunch hour and then got three snow days in a row. That was in Michigan, which means there was some serious snow. Not knowing if I will get off work early tomorrow makes me feel like a kid again. I'm already planning...maybe some sledding in Rock Creek Park. Now I just need a sled...

The upcoming snowpocalypse also brings cookies to mind. Something about making cookies during winter...it's like making snowmen in the snow. You just have to! So I did. I used a bit of everything I had around that was cookie related...hence the Hodge Podge.



Hodge Podge Cookies adapted from Cookie Madness

2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons all natural peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon plus an extra pinch salt
1 cup flour
1/2 cup oats (old fashioned or quick)
1 tablespoon flax seed
2 oz dark chocolate
2 oz reeses pieces chips
handful of toasted pecan pieces
handful of toasted almonds, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a medium mixing bowl mix together brown sugar, olive oil, peanut butter, vanilla, the egg.

3. Mix in the baking soda and salt. Then slowly add in the flour. Mix well.

4. Add oats, flax seed, chocolate, reeses pieces chips, pecans, and almonds. The dough will be very stiff, so fold in these ingredients.

5. Make balls a little smaller than golf balls, put on a baking sheet and press the balls down a bit. Bake for 10-12 minutes.




Makes 1.5 dozen

Pour yourself a glass of milk, grab some cookies and cross your fingers for snow days!!!

1 comment:

  1. Um, why did you not bring these in to work?! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete