2.03.2010

Green Beans, Apples, Onions and Pecans



Odd combination? I was recently with my boyfriend, Jon, in Brooklyn, NY visiting his sister and brother-in-law. They took us to this restaurant called The Farm where I had this awesome green bean salad. The green beans were just the way I liked them, steamed so they were still crunchy and bright green. The beans were mixed together with cooked pears and hazelnuts, a combination I would have never put together on my own. I didn't have super high expectations for the dish because, while I like green beans, they are not my go-to veggie. There were plenty of other salads available like a tomato and buffalo mozzarella salad, but at the moment, I felt like going a different route and taking a slightly healthier path, basically meaning there was no cheese in this dish. I loved every bite. I ate the entire thing, despite already feeling completely satiated before my entree came out....that didn't stop me though!

So, of course, I had to try my hand at something similar. The other day I randomly had green beans, a Gala apple, and some pecans. That's close enough, right?? I had some onion too, which I thought would be a great touch. It always surprises me how versatile apples are. From desserts, to meats, to Bean Burgers, to juice, to green beans!

These green beans turned out awesome. I shocked myself a bit. They were simple, a bit citrusy, sweet and perfectly nutty.

Apples, Onions, Pecans and Green Beans

*1 cup fresh green beans
*1 teaspoon butter
*1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
*1 teaspoon garlic powder
*1/2 onion, sliced
*1 medium apple, sliced (I used Gala, but I am sure you could venture out.)
*handful pecans, chopped
*salt and pepper

1. Put 3 tablespoons of water in a pan and steam the green beans. Add salt.

2. Saute the onions, apples and butter for 3-4 minutes.



3. To the onions and apples, add the green beans, apple cider, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes.



4. Add the chopped pecans. Put lid on pan and cook for another minute.


Eat warm or chilled. Either way, these beans will leave you satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment